All RVers from time to time need to patch up something with Silicone or RTV. Today, I had to redo the caulking around the kitchen sink. It was a simple job, but I learned a new trick which I thought I would pass on to the folks that read this blog.
I started with a razor knife and cleaned out all the old sealant, making sure that I got into the crack all the way around the sink. I also scrapped off any residue that was left over. I had an old tube of silicone left over from patching a window, which was still good. So, I laid a thin bead around the sink. So far, nothing earth shattering. The trick I learned was to spray the bead with Windex (with Ammonia). Then with a wad of paper towels handy, I ran my finger over the bead, pushing it into the joint and creating a smooth seal. Every few inches I wiped my figure on the towel. First surprise was that nothing stuck to my figure. Second surprise was I got a great looking seal.
Next week I have to reseal both the drivers side and passenger side windows. I may make this one into a video, not sure yet. At the very least I will take pictures of the process.